Sunday, January 04, 2009

Dubai - Heaven On Earth?

The Dubai Short-Term Mission Team (DSTMT) has had a brief taste of the so-called 'Heaven On Earth" for two weeks. Is it really as glamorous as advertized? As my flight touched down at DXB, I immediately marveled at the lavishly designed skyscrapers, competing for the pitch-dark skyline. I noticed that the airport police does not carry any visible weapon or gun. I reasoned that everyone here is so rich that they want for nothing. The crime rate here must have been much much lower than that of L.A. However, on the very next day, I witnessed first-hand the rudeness of a local Arab quarreling over a minor traffic issue. My impression of Dubai as the 'Heaven On Earth' immediately changed. At any rate, I was glad to be in Dubai as a member of the DSTMT, bringing a message of hope and love in Jesus name to the hundreds of foreign Chinese laborers we came into contact. May they all find Jesus as their personal source of faith, hope, and love, especially during today's turbulent time of global financial tsunami.

No comments: